At the Institute of Chemical, Environmental and Bioscience Engineering, in the Research Group for Bioresource Technology (Chair of Process Systems Engineering, Prof. Dr. Stavros Papadokonstantakis) TU Wien is offering a position as university assistant (prae-doc) until 30.11.2025 for 30 hours/week. Expected start: December 2021.
Title: Biorefinery systems engineering for circular economy concepts
- Collection of data to develop a repository of waste biomass property and process models and establish value chains across feedstocks, technologies, products, and industries for the waste biomass-energy/fuels-chemicals nexus
- Characterization of the superstructure of value chains, including technoeconomic and sustainability assessment criteria (i.e., life cycle perspective) considering also multi-sectoral und multi-actor socio-economic constraints from an Austrian and European short- to mid-term perspective
- Application of (i) multi-objective superstructure optimization to prioritize the most promising value chains and (ii) meta-modelling with data science methods to translate numerical results into rules/heuristics/guidelines for knowledge synthesis
- Participation in development and handling of courses and supervision of interns, Bac and MSc students
- Dissemination of research results through scientific publications and participation in conferences, seminars, etc.
- Completed diploma or master’s degree in (bio)chemical or (bio)process engineering, or an equivalent university degree in Austria or abroad
- Participation in projects or courses related to biorefineries and/or bioeconomy preferred but not mandatory
- Experience in the field of process modelling, techno-economics and/or sustainability assessment
- Experience or interest to further advance in the field of process systems engineering, particularly in mathematical methods and programming with focus on optimization and data science methods
- Good command of English and German
- Continuing personal and professional education and flexible working hours
- Central location of workplace with very good accessibility (U1/U2/U4 Karlsplatz)
- A creative environment in one of the most liveable cities in the world
- Additional benefits for employees can be found at the following link: Fringe-Benefit Catalogue of TU Wien
Entry level salary is determined by the pay grade B1 of the Austrian collective agreement for university staff. This is a minimum of currently EUR 2,228.70/month gross, 14 times/year for 30 hours/week. Relevant working experiences may increase the monthly income.
We look forward to receiving your application until 18.11.2021. – Prolonged to 16.12.2021!